Applying is a three-part process:

Part 1: Create a Free Student Profile

If you are new to UC Berkeley or UC Berkeley Extension, you will need to create a free online student profile.

If you already have a UC Berkeley Extension student account, log in.

Part 2: Upload Your Application Materials

Once you are logged in to your online student account, you will see the application.

Your application can always be found under "My Applications and Registrations" in the account menu.

Name each of your files with the following format: firstnamelastnamedocument.pdf. For example, Jane Doe would name her résumé document as janedoeresume.pdf.

Please ensure that your documents are readable.

Please submit a letter of invitation from your UC Berkeley Department. Click to view a sample letter (PDF). The invitation should be printed on department letterhead with a signature at the bottom.

The U.S. government requires you to demonstrate that sufficient financial resources will be available to you while studying in the United States. Your financial statement and certification must be in English and dated within 90 days of your application. See estimated minimum expenses. You may provide financial certification in one of two ways:

  • Complete the Financial Statement and Certification (PDF) of the application. If someone else is providing proof of financial support, please clearly indicate your relationship to this person and ensure he/she signs where indicated.
  • Submit an original bank statement (monthly account record). The original bank statement should show an excess of the total fees and estimated expenses as described in the Financial Statement and Certification form. The bank statement must be no older than 90 days from the date the application is submitted.

Please submit a copy of official test results that are no more than two years old. Minimum test scores we accept are listed below:

  • TOEFL: 90
  • IELTS Academic Format: 7

If the TOEFL/IELTS requirement has been waived, it must be stated in the Invitation Letter.

If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must obtain an F-1 student visa in order to attend this program. If you are already in the U.S. on a visa other than F-1, please email International Student Services ( to inquire about eligibility. Learn more about applying for your student visa.

To waive the school health insurance requirement, you must be enrolled in a plan that meets ALL of the following requirements:

  1. You must enroll in a medical health insurance plan through a recognized company that is owned, headquartered and operated in the United States. (Foreign insurance plans with U.S. affiliates/representatives, travel insurance plans, and reimbursement programs of any kind do not qualify).
  2. Your private insurance plan must provide:

    • A minimum of $500,000 in benefits
    • 100% coverage of hospitalization fees
    • 100% coverage of professional fees
    • At least 15 days of inpatient mental health services
    • No pre-existing condition exclusion
    • Policy written in English with benefits expressed in U.S. dollars
    • Payment of at least $50,000 for medical evacuation
    • Payment of at least $25,000 for repatriation of remains
    • A network provider facility within 50 miles of the UC Berkeley campus
    • An annual deductible of no more than $500

To request a health insurance waiver, send proof of insurance that meets all of the above criteria to Your waiver request must be received at least three weeks before classes begin.

Application Fee


Submission Deadline

Jul 01, 2019

You will also need:

  • A copy of your passport identification page

Part 3: Pay the Application Fee

The $200 nonrefundable application fee is automatically added to your application. You will pay this fee when you check out.

Note: We will not evaluate your application if the fee has not been paid.

Remember, if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must obtain an F-1 student visa in order to attend this program. Learn more about applying for and obtaining your student visa.

Start My Application