Applying is a three-part process:

Part 1: Create a Free Student Profile

If you are new to UC Berkeley or UC Berkeley Extension, you will need to create a free online student profile.

If you already have a UC Berkeley Extension student account, log in.

Part 2: Upload Your Application Materials

Once you are logged in to your Extension online student account, you will see the application.

Your application can always be found under "My Applications and Registrations" in the account menu.

Use this format for naming your files: firstnamelastnamedocument.pdf. Please use romanized English (do not use special characters like ñ and ø). For example, Janaé Doe would name her statement of purpose janaedoestatementofpurpose.pdf.

Please ensure that your documents are readable.

Proof of English-Language Proficiency

You can meet our English-language requirement in any of the following ways:

Test Score

Minimum test scores accepted are:

  • TOEFL: {{ program.toefl }}
  • IELTS Academic Format: {{ program.ielts }}
  • DAAD: {{ program.daad }}
  • {{ program.C1Adv }}
  • TEM-4 or TEM-8: Level {{ program.tem }}
  • Duolingo: {{ program.duo }}

If you are requesting a waiver or exception, please upload any additional supporting documentation (see the "English Proficiency Requirement Exceptions" on the program home page for details). Waiver or exception requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and acceptance is not guaranteed. Email with questions or to learn more.

The English Proficiency test score requirement can be waived by your host department. This waiver must be included in your invitation letter.


You may request a waiver if you meet one of the following requirements:

  • You have completed one year of full-time college-level instruction entirely in the English language.
  • You have successfully completed a university-level program in a country or region where English is the official language.
  • You are from a country or region on the exempt list.

If you do not meet any of the above criteria, you can request an English-language interview through our department. If you are interested in this option, please select, "I would like to request an English interview" in your online application.

Résumé/Curriculum Vitae (CV)

Include a chronological list of all employment and the duties you performed.

Please include all degrees earned or courses attended and any other experience that may be of interest to the academic review committee.

Guide to Submitting Your Transcripts

You must upload your complete academic transcript (official version). Your academic transcript is an official record of all the courses you have completed along with your grade or score for each course. Your transcript should be issued in your institution's language of instruction.

  • If the language of instruction of your institution is not English, you must also upload an official transcript in English or an English translation of your original transcript (usually prepared by a school administrator or agentusually prepared by the school or an official translator). In this case, you will submit two transcripts: one official transcript in the original language of instruction, and one English translation.
  • If you have attended multiple institutions, please upload a transcript for each institution. Please include English translations for each transcript, if necessary.
  • If you have completed a course of study, please upload the corresponding certificate or diploma.
  • If you attend(ed) an institution or program where English is the primary language of instruction, please make sure this is apparent on the transcript.

Guide to Preparing Your Statement of Purpose

Your Statement of Purpose allows us to assess your understanding of the program and your academic preparedness, while helping us to understand your personal, academic, and professional goals. We will review your Statement of Purpose to determine if the program is a good fit for you, as well as to advise you on courses and campus opportunities that will help you achieve your goals.

Please use the following guidelines when writing your essay:

  1. Length of essay: {{ program.applications.wordcount || "800–1,000" }} words, single-spaced.
  2. Background: Which academic, personal, and professional experiences have prepared you for this rigorous program? Please describe successes that may not be apparent from just reading your transcript. Briefly describe any other extracurricular interests or activities you hope to engage in at UC Berkeley or in the Bay Area.
  3. Understanding of the program: How will participating in this program help you achieve your academic, professional or personal goals? Briefly explain your understanding of the program's requirements and the courses you will be eligible to apply for as a student. Please also state the name of the program you are applying to.
  4. Anomalies: Please explain any anomalies in your academic transcript, such as a failed course, a low GPA, or a change in your major concentration. If there is nothing unusual about your transcript, you do not need to include this section.

Guide to Applying for a Scholarship

Within the application, you will indicate your intent to apply for the scholarship. You will need to upload an essay on the following topic:

Professional or Academic Letter of Recommendation

In addition to uploading your essay, we must receive a professional or academic letter of recommendation from a colleague (such as a supervisor, manager, or recent instructor) who can speak to your academic or professional capabilities. Please ask your recommender to email the letter to and ask them to include the following:

  • Your full name
  • The word "recommendation" in the email subject line
  • Their professional or academic association with you in the body of the letter

Note that acceptable formats for the recommendation letter are MS Word or PDF.

F-1 International Students

Students who will require an F-1 visa or F-1 visa status to participate in this program must also provide additional documents.

In most cases, to study abroad in the U.S., if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must obtain an F-1 Form I-20 and F-1 student visa in order to attend a full-time Berkeley Global program. Learn more about applying for your I-20 and student visa. Questions? Email

Note: Live Online programs do not qualify for an F-1 Student Visa.

A Copy of your Passport Biographical Page

Upload a copy of your passport biographical page that shows your full name, photo, and birth date.

You must have a passport that is valid for travel to the United States. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States (unless exempt by country-specific agreements).

Guide to Preparing Your Financial Statement and Certification

The U.S. government requires you to demonstrate that you have sufficient financial resources to cover your tuition, fees, and living expenses while you are studying in the United States. Your financial statement and certification must be in English and dated within 90 days of your application. See estimated minimum expenses.

You must demonstrate your funding by providing the following:

  1. Personal or Family Funding:

    • Complete and upload the Financial Statement and Certification (PDF). If someone else is providing proof of financial support, please clearly indicate your relationship to this person and ensure he/she signs where indicated.
    • Upload a copy of a bank statement. The bank statement should show an excess of the total fees and estimated expenses as described in the Financial Statement and Certification form. This should not be a list of transactions. This document should show available funds that can be converted into cash in a short time with little or no loss in value (no cryptocurrency, stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.).
  2. Scholarship or Institutional Funding: If you are receiving funding from your school or another organization, upload a letter from the organization on official business letterhead, including a signature showing your name, the amount and length of support.

Proof of Current U.S. Immigration Status

In most cases, if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must obtain an F-1 student visa in order to attend this program. Learn more about applying for your student visa.

  • If you are currently in the U.S. on a different visa status, please upload a copy of your current visa and contact International Student Services ( to inquire about eligibility as soon as possible. A change of visa status may be required.
  • If you are currently in the U.S. studying as an F-1 student or will attend school in the U.S. prior to this program as an F-1 student, please indicate this in your application. You will need to provide copies of your F-1 I-20, F-1 Visa, and I-94 and arrange for a SEVIS Transfer of your F-1 status to UC Berkeley Extension if admitted.
  • If these do not apply to you, no additional uploads are required.

After admission, a Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 will be sent to you. A Form I-20 allows you to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad and enter the U.S. as a student.

Application Fee


After you submit the online application:

When you submit the application, the fee will be placed in your shopping cart. Click on the shopping cart to complete the transaction.

Your application will not be considered until you pay the $100 nonrefundable application fee.

If you are accepted into the program, please allow 10 days for your I-20 to be mailed. Once mailed, the date sent and tracking number will appear in the Notes below.

Part 3: Pay the Application Fee

The $100, nonrefundable application fee is automatically added to your cart when you apply. You will pay this fee at checkout.

Note: Your application cannot be processed until the fee is paid.

Remember, if you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you must obtain an F-1 student visa in order to attend this program. Learn more about applying for and obtaining your student visa.