Education and Culture at a World-Class Institution
Berkeley Global Access enables groups of students from participating universities and individuals applying directly to study in Berkeley. The program offers a study-abroad opportunity that combines academic instruction with a full immersion experience in the United States, including unique access to the greater University of California, Berkeley, network—without the complicated admissions process.
Berkeley Global Access student groups can study in Berkeley for one semester or a full academic year. Either choice enables students to take a variety of courses to complete undergraduate or graduate requirements, refine their English skills and gain a rich cultural experience.
Learn more about our programs! Attend an online information session on Wednesday, May 3, at 3 pm (PDT). Save your seat!
Students take a combination of courses at UC Berkeley Extension and on the UC Berkeley campus. UC Berkeley campus courses are offered through the Concurrent Enrollment program.
Program Cost: $4,900 program fee; Extension course fees: $500–$1300; $750 per unit for UC Berkeley campus courses; published course fees for UC Berkeley Extension courses (at least one Extension course is required) (2–3 semester units); total of 12–18 semester units
- Students may choose any course in the UC Berkeley Extension or UC Berkeley course catalog (excluding courses from the School of Law), as long as students meet any published prerequisites. Transcripts of prior study may be required.
- Enrollment in all courses is subject to availability. If enrollment in any course is denied, students must choose an alternate course—either a campus course or an Extension course—to maintain a full-time study schedule.
- Courses must carry academic credit in semester units. Enrollment in continuing education unit (CEU) courses is not permitted.
- UC Berkeley Extension courses are generally held in the evenings and on weekends; campus courses are held on weekdays.
- Tuition includes international student fee, course fees, mandatory health insurance, orientation and student advising. The tuition fee does not include visa fees, textbooks, supplies, travel and housing costs, meals or daily expenses.
Students may enroll in multiple semesters, but prices and policies listed here are for one semester only. Visa fees, living expenses, meals and textbook costs are not included in the tuition fee. Estimated living expenses per semester are $10,500.
The course links below are for research purposes only; not all courses listed will be offered in future semesters.
Search for sample UC Berkeley Extension courses. (Courses must have semester units.)
Search for sample UC Berkeley courses. (Courses require campus department invitation and instructor approval to enroll.)
UC Berkeley Extension welcomes individuals and groups of students from participating universities. Student eligibility is based on academic performance and English-language skills.
All students must complete a full Berkeley Global Access application, which includes:
- Enrollment application.
- Financial statement and certification
- English-language proficiency scores
- TOEFL: 90 (iBT), 577 (PBT or ITP)
If you have a TOEFL of 80-89/IELTS 6.0, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information about our BGA Bridge Program
- IELTS Academic Format: 7
- TOEIC 800+
- TOEFL: 90 (iBT), 577 (PBT or ITP)
- Official university transcripts
- Statement of background and purpose (written by student)
- Copy of passport identification page and expiration date
- Letter of support from your academic adviser or department head
Students receive detailed information about the course enrollment process, including when to enroll and how to secure campus department approval, once they arrive in Berkeley.
Note: Participation in Berkeley Global Access does not offer any advantage for a student's application to UC Berkeley or any other University of California campus.