Stay up to date with courses and trends in Sciences, Mathematics and Biotechnology
"UC Berkeley Extension offers online and classroom courses so I can attend classes and maintain my hectic work schedule."
Read more from Kristen Fortnam.
Enhance your background to prepare for health professions programs, or further your education with coursework in advanced biosciences and biotechnology. Our coursework will help you
- prepare you for advanced programs in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, nursing, pharmacy, physical therapy and other health care programs;
- stay current with the industry's latest developments and learn practical knowledge on topics of critical importance to life sciences companies; and
- meet the math and statistics requirements to enter M.B.A. or other advanced degree programs; and
- meet the requirements and improve your science grade point average to be a competitive applicant for graduate school or clinical laboratory science programs.
Professional certificates are the highest level of academic achievement from UC Berkeley Extension. Specialized programs of study provide focused subject concentrations to develop skills within specific disciplines. Learn more.
Specialized programs of study
- Advanced Biosciences Program
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist Preparatory Program
- Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program
- Professional Program in Life Sciences Business
- Professional Program in Project Management in the Life Science Industries
- Professional Program in Quality and Compliance for Biotechnology
- Professional Program in Regulatory Affairs
Online Prerequisites for the Health Professions
We offer numerous science and math prerequisite courses that you can complete fully online–from anywhere in the world. Pick and choose the courses that you need to fill the gaps in your transcript, raise your GPA and become a qualified, competitive applicant to graduate school or the health professions program of your dreams. Or, choose a course to advance in your current career. Or simply learn more about a subject you enjoy–our courses are tailored to fit your specific needs. You do not need to be registered for a specific certificate or program; simply enroll in a course and you're on your way. Get started today.
FROM MILITARY NURSING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL ACCEPTANCE
Katie Fenton loved the high adrenaline that comes from being a military nurse—a path she's followed since graduating with a bachelor's degree in nursing from the University of Pennsylvania seven years prior. Though the traditional next step was to become a nurse practitioner, Fenton realized that role wouldn't give her the autonomy she wanted. So she set her heart on a new challenge: medical school.
Challenge accepted: This fall, Fenton will begin attending Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (Camden, N.J.). But she wouldn’t have made it so far so quickly without UC Berkeley Extension's Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program.
PUSHING THE ONLINE SCIENCE COURSE EXPERIENCE FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS
In 1999, the Euro was established, Microsoft released Windows 98, Star Wars Episode 1 was released and Napster debuted. And lesser-known fact: Longtime UC Berkeley Extension science instructor Monica Ranes-Goldberg created online course Introductory Biology as part of the school's first foray into the then-new learning environment, using AOL as the platform.
"The Internet in general had also exploded at that time," Ranes-Goldberg remembers. "Google had just been founded the year before, and the vast majority of people did not know how to do Internet searches. This was also a world without YouTube. My first online course did not have PowerPoint slides and the textbook publishers did not provide companion websites; there was very little in the way of supporting materials that could be used online."