Academic Standards

All university-level academic credit courses numbered X, XB1–299 and XBW1–299 and the Extension instructors who teach them are reviewed and approved by the appropriate academic department on the UC Berkeley campus and by the Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) of the UC Berkeley Academic Senate. The UC Berkeley Academic Senate delegates authority to the Dean of UC Berkeley Extension to approve professional, post-baccalaureate credit courses that are numbered X300–499 and all noncredit courses. This academic supervision by University faculty is assurance of excellence in course content and quality of instruction.


The University of California, Berkeley, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). UC Berkeley Extension—like all other UC Berkeley schools, colleges and departments—is accredited by WASC through the University.

Academic Credit

UC Berkeley Extension does not grant degrees, but many Extension courses carry academic credit that may be applied toward a degree, professional licensing or other professional requirements, or completion of an Extension professional certificate or specialized program of study.

Application of Credit Toward UC Degrees

Participating in UC Berkeley Extension programs and courses does not in itself provide preference in admission to the University of California. If you are interested in applying to the University of California, you should refer to the University of California Admissions website or the admissions office of the University of California campus you wish to attend for details about the admissions process.

UC Berkeley’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions is located at 103 Sproul Hall. Contact the office online.

The University of California campuses use the same procedures to evaluate and determine the suitability of Extension credit courses to fulfill degree requirements as they do for credits gained at other regionally accredited institutions.

If you are admitted for a future term or have already been admitted to the University of California—including students on leave—you must have prior written approval from the academic adviser or dean of your school or college to transfer credit earned at UC Berkeley Extension toward UC degree requirements.

If you are a UC Berkeley–matriculated undergraduate student (including students enrolled in the Fall Program for Freshmen), special regulations may apply.

  • UC Berkeley-matriculated Undergraduate Students: Your official student record and transcript for all UC Berkeley Extension coursework resides at UC Berkeley Extension. If you are a UC Berkeley–matriculated undergraduate student (except if you are in dismissal status or have already completed a UC Berkeley undergraduate program), UC Berkeley–equivalent courses with the designation of XB or XBW are accepted for unit, requirement and grade-point credit on your UC Berkeley transcript. For additional information, see UC Berkeley Senate A208. This process is automatic for XB coursework completed through UC Berkeley Extension’s Concurrent Enrollment and Fall Program for Freshmen programs; however, you must consult your academic adviser about the transferability of other UC Berkeley Extension XB or XBW courses to your UC Berkeley transcript. If you are submitting transcripts for review, you need to submit both your UC Berkeley and UC Berkeley Extension transcripts. XB and XBW courses do not count toward satisfaction of the residence requirements of the University, the Berkeley Division or your college. Please note that if you are in dismissal status, you must obtain Dean’s approval prior to enrolling in UC Berkeley Extension XB or XBW courses to receive grade points for those courses and apply them toward graduation requirements for your college. If you are a dismissed student, your grade points are counted toward graduation only upon successful readmission into your college. 


Application of Credit Toward Degrees at Other Institutions

Other institutions may accept UC Berkeley Extension credit toward an undergraduate degree, but acceptance is always determined by the institution to which you are applying. Policies regarding the acceptance of Extension credit toward graduate degrees vary widely among institutions and individual programs. Check with your institution and adviser before enrolling.

Credit Courses

If a course is offered for credit, the title of each credit course is followed by the UC Berkeley academic department abbreviation in which the credit is granted and the course number. The amount of semester units offered appears after the course number in the print catalog and is included in the specific course-section information on the website. Credit is in semester units. For courses carrying academic or professional-level credit, the University’s standard formula for one unit of credit is 15 hours of instructional time, plus two hours of study time for each hour of instruction. Thus, a one-unit course is 15 hours of instruction and 30 hours of study outside of class for a total of 45 hours of course effort. Some courses, such as studios or labs, require more instructional time and less study time. Credit course numbers include a letter prefix and sometimes a letter suffix: for example, Analytic Geometry and Calculus MATH XB101A.

X Prefix

The course-number prefix X indicates a credit course that originates at UC Berkeley Extension.

XB and XBW Prefixes

The course-number prefixes XB indicates an Extension credit course that is equivalent to the UC Berkeley campus course with the same content, title, number and credit value offered to UC Berkeley students. Note that UC Berkeley courses taken through concurrent enrollment and the Fall program for Freshmen are labeled XB. The course-number prefix XBW indicates an XB course that is offered either fully or predominantly online.

Credit Course Numbers

The credit course number indicates the level of instruction as follows:

  • X, XB1–99 and XBW1–99: Lower-division credit courses at the level of the first two years of college.
  • X, XB100–199 and XBW100–199: Upper-division credit courses at the level of the second two years of college.
  • X, XB200–299 and XBW 200–299: Graduate-level credit courses that are ordinarily open only to students who have completed at least 18 upper-division units basic to the subject matter of the course.
  • X300–399: Professional credit courses in education for prospective and current teachers and school administrators.
  • X400–499: Professional, post-baccalaureate credit courses in a variety of fields (other than education) such as the arts, behavioral health sciences, biological and physical sciences, business and management, technology and information management, engineering, landscape architecture, writing, and so forth.

Letter Suffixes

The course number suffix—usually the letter A, B or C following the number—shows that the credit course is part of a series. The A portion is prerequisite to the B portion, and so on, unless the course description states otherwise or you have the instructor or academic department's permission to enroll.

Noncredit Courses

You may take any credit course on a noncredit basis. You are not permitted to audit UC Berkeley Extension courses. If you wish to attend the course but do not wish to fulfill the requirements for credit, you must pay to enroll on a noncredit basis. See When to Enroll for more information on classroom visitors. To elect to take a credit course on a noncredit basis, please see Grades for more information.

Noncredit Continuing Education Units

Continuing education units (CEUs) are a nationally recognized means of recording noncredit study. Many employers and relicensure agencies accept these units as evidence of your serious commitment to career advancement and the maintenance of professional competence. The letters ceu and a number following a course title identify a noncredit course in which you can earn continuing education units. One ceu is awarded for 10 instructional hours.

Noncredit Courses Numbered 800–899

While not offering academic credit, these professional courses may be offered for a letter grade, pass/not pass or for continuing education units (CEUs). UC Berkeley Extension does not award both a grade and CEUs for the same course.

Other noncredit courses

Noncredit courses that carry grades or CEU values are recorded on your transcript. Courses that carry no academic credit, grades or CEU values are not recorded on your transcript.

Application of Credit or Noncredit CEUs Toward Licensing and Other Requirements

When courses on this website have been approved by government agencies, licensing boards, professional associations and other authorities as meeting their educational criteria, a statement to this effect appears with the course listing. A list of the organizations and associated abbreviations follow below. Through your student account under My Profile, you can elect to affiliate yourself with your licensing board or professional association and enter your license number or member identification number. Upon enrolling online into courses that are offered for licensing or other professional education requirements, you can elect to earn professional education units from these organizations in your shopping cart on the checkout screen. Some licensing boards and organizations also require that you sign in and sign out at each class meeting. Upon completion of the course, the academic department may issue you a letter of completion that you can submit to your organization as evidence that you have fulfilled their licensing or professional education requirements. Please note that only credit semester units or noncredit continuing education units are recorded on your UC Berkeley Extension transcript, as applicable. Abbreviations from the following organizations may appear on Extension courses or section descriptions:

APA: Courses qualify for American Psychological Association (APA) continuing education credit for psychologists.

ASHRAE: Upon completion of UC Berkeley Extension's Certificate Program in HVAC, you may request to receive a certificate of accomplishment from the Golden Gate Chapter of the American Society for Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).

BBS, LCSW/MFT: Courses qualify for continuing education for licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs) and marriage and family therapists (MFTs) as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (PCE 1505).

BOP: Courses qualify for California Board of Psychology continuing education units.

BRN: Courses qualify for Board of Registered Nursing continuing education credit (provider 00226).

CCAPP: Courses qualify for continuing education for Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselors through the California Consortium of Addiction Programs and Professionals (provider 4C-99-416-0803; formerly CAADAC)

CFP: UC Berkeley Extension’s Certificate Program in Personal Financial Planning is accredited and registered with the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards. This registration allows those who have successfully completed the UC Berkeley Extension program and who wish to obtain the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) certification to take the national CFP Certification Examination.

CLARB: UC Berkeley Extension's Certificate Program in Landscape Architecture helps you qualify to sit for the Landscape Architect Registration Exam (LARE) offered through the Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Board (CLARB).

CPA: Courses are appropriate for continuing professional education toward renewal of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensure through the California Board of Accountancy.

CTC: Our Designated Subjects Career Technical Education and Designated Subjects Adult Education teaching credentials are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

  • DS: Courses meet requirements for Designated Subjects Adult Education and Career Technical Education Teaching Credentials for adults.
  • RYAN: Courses may be used to fulfill requirements for the Ryan Multiple and/or Single Subject Credential for teachers on direct application to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

GBCI: Some of our construction courses offer completion hours for the Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI)

HRCI: Courses meet continuing education requirements for the Human Resources Certification Institute. Recertification is required every three years to maintain your credential. Take 60 credit hours of our HR-related courses to stay current in the field and recertify with the HR Certification Institute.

ICISF:Courses qualify for continuing education requirements of the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation.

IIBA: UC Berkeley Extension is an endorsed education provider of the International Institute of Business Analysis® (IIBA). Our business analysis courses apply toward continuing development units (EEP number E234), which can be used to fulfill the Professional Development Criterion to sit for the Certified Business Analysis Professional® (CBAP) exam.

LATC: UC Berkeley Extension's Certificate Program in Landscape Architecture helps you qualify to become licensed through California's Landscape Architecture Technical Committee.

MCLE: Courses conform to the standards for approved education criteria prescribed by the rules and regulations of the State Bar of California governing Minimum Continuing Legal Education (MCLE).

PMI: As a Project Management Institute (PMI)–registered education provider, UC Berkeley Extension has been approved by PMI to issue professional development units (PDUs) for our courses (provider 1173).

USGBC: Some courses are U.S. Green Building Council–approved for continuing education credit.


If you enroll for credit, you must meet the attendance, participation and course requirements set by the instructor. You can log in to your student account on the Extension website to view final course grades, CEUs and print achievement reports. On request only, achievement reports can be mailed to you via USPS for courses completed within the past year. You should order a transcript if you need an achievement report for courses completed prior to one year ago.

Until all outstanding balances to the university are paid in full, a hold may be placed on your student account that prevents you from viewing and printing your final course grades, CEUs and achievement reports and from ordering an official transcript.

Grading Basis Options

We assume that when you enroll in a credit course, you want to receive a letter grade. In some courses, however, you may opt to take the course for a passed/not passed grade (P/NP) or to take the course on a noncredit basis (NC) by submitting a Petition for Grade Option Change (PDF). If you opt to change from a letter grade to a P/NP grade or from a letter grade to a noncredit basis, you must inform your instructor prior to your course end date and final exam or project due date, or by the deadlines established for concurrent enrollment courses. If you plan to apply that course toward a degree or professional certificate, you should first make sure that a P/NP grade is accepted. Please note that most institutions do not accept noncredit courses and noncredit grade options for transfer credit. We cannot change a P/NP grade or NC grade option to a letter grade after recording it. If you are unable to complete your course, you can also submit a petition to withdraw without academic penalty prior to your course end date and final exam or project due date or by the deadlines established for concurrent enrollment courses; please see more information below.

Letter Grades

  • A—Excellent
  • B—Good
  • C—Fair
  • D—Barely passing
  • F—Failure

Plus or minus grades may be recorded.

Passed/Not Passed Grades

  • P—Passed (equivalent to a C-minus or higher)
  • NP—Not passed (lower than C-minus)

Other Letter Designations

NC—Not for credit. Signifies attendance but not completion of credit requirements.

W—Withdrew without academic penalty. You can submit a request to withdraw by logging in to your student account and submitting the request on the enrollment history page. You may also print out, complete and submit a petition to withdraw form. The request or form must be submitted prior to your course end date and final exam or project due date, or by the deadlines established for concurrent enrollment courses. If your request to withdraw is approved, you receive a W grade that appears on your official transcript. Withdrawing from a course is not the same as dropping or receiving a refund for a course; strict deadlines apply to course drops/refunds. See Drops and Refunds for more information.

I—Incomplete; may be assigned by an instructor on an exceptional basis if the student's coursework has been of passing quality but not finished during the term or enrollment period due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. This Incomplete policy applies only to UC Berkeley Extension classroom and online courses. It does not apply to the Fall Program for Freshmen, Concurrent Enrollment, corporate training or any other course or program. Incomplete grades are not generally permitted for international students with F-1 non-immigrant status; exceptions must be approved by International Student Administrative Services. 

Incomplete grades are contingent on instructor approval, and instructors are under no obligation to grant them. To complete the course and receive a final grade, you must complete the course requirements within three months of the course end date. If you do not complete the work as agreed, instructors may opt to submit a final failing grade for you. If left unresolved, the grade Incomplete (I) in any course becomes part of your permanent academic record.

An I designation is issued only if the instructor approves and all of the following criteria are met:

  • You present extenuating circumstances to your instructor for not completing the course by the course end date.
  • You have successfully completed 75% of the assignments, assessments or projects at least three weeks prior to the course end date.
  • You and the instructor have made a written agreement on the work required to complete the course and the due date by which you will submit the work to the instructor. The due date must be within three months of the course end date.
  • You must sign and present the the Petition for 'Incomplete' Grade form to the instructor prior to the course end date. Online students should provide the completed petition form to instructors by scanning and emailing it as an attachment.
  • For classroom and hybrid courses, instructors must note on the form the percentage of the coursework completed and graded, and the cumulative grade the student has earned to date. For online courses, instructors must note on the form all of the modules that have been submitted, graded and entered into the LMS gradebook to date (e.g., Modules 1–8) and the remaining modules that the student must complete (e.g., Modules 9–10).
  • Once completed and signed by you and the instructor, the instructor should forward the original 'incomplete' grade petition form to the address indicated on p. 1 of the form. You and the instructor should each retain a copy of the signed form.
  • Online Students Only: Once enrollment expires or a grade of I is recorded, you no longer have access to the online classroom or discussion forum. You must coordinate with your instructor to copy or print out any information from the online classroom or discussion forum that you need for reference as you continue and complete your coursework beyond your enrollment period.

Grade Point Averages

Although UC Berkeley Extension does not calculate or record an official grade point average (GPA) on your transcript, GPAs can be unofficially calculated on the basis of grades and number of units. The University's scale of grade points is: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. A plus (+) or minus (-) may also be recorded. Grades with a plus sign (such as B+) carry 0.3 point more per unit; minus grades (such as A–) carry 0.3 point less. (An A+ counts as 4.0.). Work is shown in semester units unless otherwise noted.

Final Grade Reviews and Appeals

All student grades except “Incomplete” are final when submitted by the instructor to UC Berkeley Extension at the end of the course. An instructor may request a change of grade when a computational or procedural error occurred in the original assignment of a grade, but a grade may not be changed or revised as a result of reevaluation of student work, student reexamination or the submission of additional student work after the end of the course.

UC Berkeley Extension considers grades to be a matter of academic judgment on the part of the instructor. You may only challenge your grade and request a final grade review in certain circumstances. Grounds for requesting a grade review at the end of the course include:

  1. Application of nonacademic criteria—such as consideration of race, politics, religion or gender—not directly reflective of performance related to course requirements;
  2. Sexual harassment; or,
  3. Clerical or procedural error in the calculation of the student's final grade.

Consult your instructor if you have a question about your final grade. If the matter is not resolved at the instructor level, write to your program director to request a final grade review within 30 days after your final grade is posted to your student account. Within your final grade review request, state which of the above three criteria comprises the grounds for the request. The program director conducts the grade review and informs you of his or her decision—including any remedies, if applicable—within 30 days of receiving the request for review.

If, and only if, the above procedures have failed to resolve the matter, you may appeal the program director's decision by submitting a letter addressed to the Dean’s Office, UC Berkeley Extension, 1995 University Avenue, Suite 110, Berkeley, CA 94704-7000. This written request for appeal must be initiated within 30 days after receiving the decision from the program director. The dean’s designee reviews the request for appeal, conducts an investigation and makes a decision—including any remedies, if applicable—within 30 days of receiving the request for appeal. The dean’s designee makes the final decision for all unresolved grade appeals for all students enrolled in UC Berkeley Extension courses and programs.

In extenuating circumstances, the above timelines may be extended.


View the UC Berkeley Extension privacy policy.