Start Anytime Courses
Start Anytime online courses begin when you enroll in the course. Starting from the date of enrollment, you have a minimum of 90 days and a maximum of 180 days to complete the course (including the final exam or project). The 180 days begin when you enroll, not when you begin coursework. Course completion dates are strictly enforced.
Expect a minimum of 30 days per semester unit to finish by the course end date; for 3–4 semester unit courses, there is a minimum of 90 days of study. This allows for instructor-led interaction and feedback between assignments in order to get the most out of your class. You may only submit one module at a time, allowing at least a week for grading and feedback from your instructor. If you are unable to complete your coursework and do not officially withdraw from the online course before the completion date, you may receive a grade of F.
Fixed-Date courses have specific start and end dates. Your access to the course content begins on the course start date. You will complete assignments within the specific dates posted in your online classroom, and as set by your instructor in the course syllabus.
Start Anytime Courses
Allot at least two weeks to complete the exam release process. Your instructor will need to approve the release of your exam. All of your coursework must be graded and you must meet the time-in-course requirement of 30 days per semester unit (90 days for courses that are three (3) or more units). The exam must be completed by the 180th day of enrollment, which is your course end date.
To request instructor approval to take your final exam:
- Login to your student portal
- Click on the “My Proctored Exams” tab
- Click on the “Send Request” option
Once your exam is approved for release by your instructor, your request status will change from "Sent" to "Approved" and you will receive an email notification. The email will instruct you to log into your student portal, and under “My Proctored Exams” you will “Select a Proctor.”
Your exam is available one week before the course end date and one week after the course end date.
We recommend you identify your proctor no later than midway through the course, to ensure that you are able to meet your course completion date.
You can view our approved Exam Centers here. If you find a proctor on this list, do not submit a new proctor nomination. When your “My Proctored Exams” tab shows the “Select a Proctor” option, select this option and follow the prompts.
If you are unable to identify a proctor from the approved list, nominate a new individual or exam center. To submit a new proctor nomination, follow the steps listed under the “New Proctor Nomination Process” section.
Acceptable New Proctors are:
- A university or professional testing/learning center.
- A member of the National Testing Center Association (NTCA).
- A high school principal or administrator (no middle or elementary school administrators)
- A college or university faculty member
- A public or university librarian
- U.S. embassy or EducationUSA office staff (for international students)
- Active Duty Military may nominate their Military chaplain or education officer
New Proctor Nomination Process:
- Log in to your student portal.
- Click on “My Proctors” tab.
- Click "Nominate a New Proctor," and submit the online form with the nominated proctor’s information:
- For an exam center list the name of the director with the center’s general email address.
- For individuals, please list the email address associated with their place of employment.
- Exams Unit will send a verification form to the nominated proctor within 2 business days.
- The form must be completed and returned by the nominated proctor before the nomination can be reviewed.
- Within 2 business days after we receive the verification form, we will email our decision to you and the nominated proctor.
Note: Professional colleagues, personal acquaintances, and relatives are not permissible proctors. Additionally, we do not manage proctors’ calendars. Contact your proctor directly to schedule your final exam.
Assigning your Proctor
Start Anytime Courses
After your instructor has approved your exam release, you may assign your proctor to your exam. Log into your student portal and click on “My Proctored Exams.” Click on the “Select a Proctor” option, and follow the prompt. Your final exam will be released within 3 business days after assigning your proctor to your final exam. Contact your proctor directly to schedule your final exam.
Log into your student portal and click on “My Proctored Exams.” Click on the “Select a Proctor” option, and follow the prompt. Within 3 business days of the opening of the exam availability window, we will release the final exam to your assigned proctor. You will receive an email notifying you when the exam has been sent. Contact your proctor directly to schedule your final exam.
Review your course syllabus or ask your instructor about exam requirements and other important information.
Items to bring for your exam:
- A government-issued photo identification card. Your legal name must match your student account name. To make any corrections to your name, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A pen or pencil.
- A prepaid envelope (with $3.00 postage attached) addressed to:
Exams, Student Services
UC Berkeley Extension
1995 University Ave., Suite 200
Berkeley, CA 94704
Items not allowed during your exam:
- Programmable and graphing calculators
- Laptops or other electronic devices
- Ebooks: If you purchased an ebook of your course text and a book is allowed for your exam, you will need to procure a hard copy of your book in order to use it on the exam.
If you are unable to keep an exam appointment, notify your proctor directly and notify Student Services at email@example.com. Plan carefully to ensure you arrive on time.
Within 3 business days of receiving the digital copy of your completed exam, we will forward the exam to your instructor for grading. Your final grade should be posted within 2 weeks from the time we received your exam. To view your final grade, log in to your student portal and select “My Enrollment History.”
If you need a transcript, once your final grade is posted on your student portal, you can place a transcript order here.