If you enroll in a course for credit, you must meet the attendance, participation and course requirements set by the instructor. You can log in to your student account to view final course grades, CEUs and print achievement reports.

Grading Options

Letter grades:

  • A—Excellent
  • B—Good
  • C—Fair
  • D—Barely passing
  • F—Failure

Passed/Not Passed grades:

  • P—Passed (equivalent to a C-minus or higher)
  • NP—Not passed (lower than C-minus)

Not for Credit grade (NC):

Signifies attendance but not completion of credit requirements.

If you want take a course on a P/NP or noncredit basis, you need to submit a Petition for Grade Option Change (PDF) and inform your instructor before the course end date/final exam/project due date.

Other Letter Designations

W: Withdrew without academic penalty. Until the course end date, final exam or project due date, you can submit a request to withdraw by logging in to your student account and submitting the request on the enrollment history page.

I:Incomplete may be assigned by an instructor on an exceptional basis if your coursework has been of passing quality but not finished during the term or enrollment period due to circumstances beyond your control. The following criteria must be met:

  • You have successfully completed 75 percent of the assignments, assessments or projects at least three weeks prior to the course end date.
  • You and the instructor have made a written agreement on the work required to complete the course and the due date by which you will submit the work to the instructor. The due date must be within three months of the course end date. If you do not complete the agreed-upon work, your instructor can submit a failing grade for you.
  • You must sign and present the Petition for "Incomplete" Grade form to the instructor prior to the course end date. Online students should provide the completed petition form to instructors by scanning and emailing it as an attachment.
  • Online Students Only: Once enrollment expires or a grade of I is recorded, you no longer have access to the online classroom or discussion forum. You must coordinate with your instructor to copy or print out any information from the online classroom or discussion forum that you need for reference as you continue and complete your coursework beyond your enrollment period. This designation does not apply toward Concurrent Enrollment or corporate training.


The University of California, Berkeley, is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). UC Berkeley Extension—like all other UC Berkeley schools, colleges and departments—is accredited by WASC through the University.

Taking a Course for Credit

Courses numbered X, XB1–299 and XBW1–299 and the Extension instructors who teach them are reviewed and approved by the appropriate academic department on the UC Berkeley campus and by the Committee on Courses of Instruction (COCI) of the UC Berkeley Academic Senate. The UC Berkeley Academic Senate delegates authority to the Dean of UC Berkeley Extension to approve professional, post-baccalaureate credit courses that are numbered X300–499 and all noncredit courses. This academic supervision by University faculty is assurance of excellence in course content and quality of instruction.

If a course is offered for credit, its title is followed by the UC Berkeley academic department abbreviation in which the credit is granted and then the course number (example: Calculus MATH XB101A). Credit is in semester units; you can see the number of semester units on the course's web page.

For courses carrying academic or professional-level credit, the University's standard formula for one unit of credit is 15 hours of instructional time, plus two hours of study time for each hour of instruction. For example, a one-unit course is 45 hours of course effort. Some courses, such as studios or labs, require more instructional time and less study time.

What do the letters and numbers mean in a course title?

X Prefix: A credit course that originates at UC Berkeley Extension.
XB Prefix: Extension credit course that is equivalent to the UC Berkeley campus course with the same content, title, number and credit value.
XBW Prefix: An XB course that is offered either fully or mostly online.
1–99: Lower-division credit courses at the level of the first two years of college.
100–199: Upper-division credit courses at the level of the second two years of college.
200–299: Graduate-level credit courses that are ordinarily open only if you have completed at least 18 upper-division units basic to the subject matter of the course.
300–399: Professional credit courses in education for prospective and current teachers and school administrators.
400–499: Professional, post-baccalaureate credit courses in a variety of fields (except education) such as art and design, behavioral health sciences, biological and physical sciences, business and management, technology, engineering, writing, and so forth.
A, B or C Suffix: This credit course is part of a series. The A course is prerequisite to the B course, and so on. Check the course description for specific prerequisites.

Applying Course Credit to a Degree

UC Berkeley Extension does not grant degrees, but many Extension courses carry academic credit that may be applied toward a degree, professional licensing or other professional requirements.

Applying Credit to a UC Degree

If you are interested in applying to the University of California, you should refer to the University of California Admissions website or the admissions office of the University of California campus you wish to attend for details about the admissions process.

If you are admitted for a future term or have already been admitted to the University of California—including students on leave—we require that you have prior written approval from the academic adviser or dean of your school or college to transfer credit earned at UC Berkeley Extension toward your UC degree requirements.

If you are a UC Berkeley-matriculated undergraduate student (including students enrolled in the Fall Program for Freshmen) and take a UC Berkeley Extension course, special regulations may apply.

  1. Your official student record and transcript for all UC Berkeley Extension coursework resides at UC Berkeley Extension.
  2. UC Berkeley-equivalent courses (designated by XB or XBW) are accepted for unit, requirement and grade-point credit on your UC Berkeley transcript. For additional information, see UC Berkeley Senate A208. This process is automatic for XB coursework completed through our Concurrent Enrollment and Fall Program for Freshmen programs; however, consult your academic adviser about the transferability of other UC Berkeley Extension XB or XBW courses to your UC Berkeley transcript.
  3. If you are submitting transcripts for review, you need to submit both your UC Berkeley and UC Berkeley Extension transcripts. XB and XBW courses do not count toward satisfaction of the residence requirements of the University, the Berkeley Division or your college.
  4. If you are in dismissal status, you must obtain Dean's approval prior to enrolling in our XB or XBW courses to receive grade points and apply them toward graduation requirements. Your grade points are counted toward graduation only upon successful readmission into your college.

Applying Credit to a Non-UC Degree

Other institutions may accept UC Berkeley Extension credit toward an undergraduate degree, but acceptance is always determined by the institution to which you are applying. Policies regarding the acceptance of Extension credit toward graduate degrees vary widely among institutions and individual programs. Check with your institution and adviser before enrolling.

Noncredit Courses

You can take any credit course on a noncredit basis.

Continuing Education Units

Continuing education units (CEUs) are a nationally recognized means of recording noncredit study. Many employers and relicensure agencies accept these units as evidence of your serious commitment to career advancement and the maintenance of professional competence. The letters ceu and a number following a course title identify a noncredit course in which you can earn CEUs. One ceu is awarded for 10 instructional hours.

Noncredit Courses Numbered 800–899

While not offering academic credit, these courses and seminars are designed for students seeking to further develop their professional skills or their cultural, intellectual and civic interests. They may be offered for a letter grade, pass/not pass or for continuing education units (CEUs).

Noncredit Courses Numbered 900–999

These non-credit-bearing, pre-college-level courses are designed to provide an opportunity for students to explore academic interests or prepare for college admission. They may be offered for a letter grade or pass/not pass. Courses may be transferable for secondary school credit at the discretion of the receiving institution. Students should discuss the transferability of individual courses with the registrar of their secondary school prior to enrolling.

Noncredit courses that carry grades or CEUs are recorded on your transcript. Courses that carry no academic credit, grades or CEU values are not recorded on your transcript.

Grade Appeal

Your grade is considered final when submitted by the instructor at the end of the course. An instructor may request a change of grade when a computational or procedural error occurred in the original grade. A grade cannot be changed or revised as a result of re-evaluation of your work; you retake your final or submit additional work after your course has ended.

We consider grades to be a matter of your instructor's academic judgment. You may only challenge your grade and request a final grade review in certain circumstances:

Consult your instructor if you have a question about your final grade. If the matter is not resolved with your instructor, write to your program director to request a final grade review within 30 days after your final grade is posted to your student account and state which of the above three criteria comprises your request.

The program director conducts the grade review and informs you of his or her decision—including any remedies, if applicable—within 30 days of receiving the request for review.

  1. Application of nonacademic criteria—such as consideration of race, politics, religion or gender—not directly reflective of performance related to course requirements;
  2. Sexual harassment; or,
  3. Clerical or procedural error in the calculation of the student's final grade.